A FEW SENTENCES
My name is Stefan Srb. I am a 26 year-old illustrator and game designer from Vienna, where I currently live with my lovely girlfriend. This site is a showcase of my works as well as a documentation of ongoing private projects (in the blog section).
In my work I am trying to help move digital (interactive) media forward. In order to do that I focus on visual and experiential phenomena and sensations and try to keep asking myself questions about properties and modes of these media. I believe critical questioning of a medium is essential – I also like to question (self-proclaimed) authorities on certain matters or media.
- BSc - Bachelor Of Science 2006-2009@ University of Applied Sciences Upper Austria, Campus Hagenberg: Media Technology and -design
- MA - Master of Arts 2009-2011@ University of Applied Sciences Upper Austria, Campus Hagenberg: Digital Arts
- Master thesis (german): “Sequenzielle Spielmechaniken: Möglichkeiten der Synthese von Comics und Videospielen unter Berücksichtigung von dynamical systems im Kontext des narratologisch-ludologischen Konfliktes” – view here (german).
There are several books that changed the way I look upon the creation of media. The most important one being Scott McCloud’s Understanding Comics: The Invisible Art. It changed my way of thinking about things in general and media in particular – especially my approach towards videogames and game design (see thesis (german)).
Other books that influence me and my work:
- Rules Of Play, by Katie Salen & Eric Zimmerman
- A Theory of Fun for Game Design, by Raph Koster
- The Design Of Everyday Things, by Donald Norman
- Hamlet On The Holodeck, by Janet H. Murray
- articles on Ludology by Gonzalo Frasca
- 2×2 ist Grün, by Heinz von Förster (CD)
- Homo Ludens, by Johann Huizinga